C. iris, C. fulgida, Chrysura radians - Sweden

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

C. iris, C. fulgida, Chrysura radians - Sweden

Postby pern71 » 02 Jul 2013 17:12

Hi, I would love some help to identify those Chrysis. All 3 were photographed on the same dead pine tree. They were visiting holes in the old stump. Location: East coast of southern Sweden. The all green/blue sp. was the biggest. Approx a little more than 10mm. The other 2 some smaller, but not tiny.

Thanks in advance!
/Per
Attachments
pern71

Name: Per Nilsson

Re: 3 different (?) Chrysis sp. for ID

Postby Alex » 02 Jul 2013 21:29

Wow! The top one is Chrysis iris! Its really rare here in Sweden, where did you find it, I would very much like to see it, I'm currently in the eastern part of Scania at the moment ;)

nr 2 is a female of Chrysis fulgida, a common species.

nr 3 is hard to tell, looks to me like a Chrysura sp., was the last abdominal segment evenly rounded?

Trevlig sommar ;)
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Postby pern71 » 03 Jul 2013 18:52

Thanks for helping me Alex. Hm, I got another answer (not on this forum) for the top one: Trichrysis cyanea. I am not the person to tell them apart. What do you think.

BTW, the location is Västervik.

I am not sure I have any other photo on nr.3 showing the last segment better.

Trevlig sommar till dig också!
pern71

Name: Per Nilsson

Postby Alex » 04 Jul 2013 00:48

I might be wrong, but it seems to me from the "head down" picture that is has 4 abdominal teeth, and then you see the darker ovipositor tip in the middle. The shadow on the tree trunk also shows what appears to be four teeth, but that could of course be the angle. Also C. fulgida and Chrysura sp should be larger than Trichrysis cyanea, even though T. cyanea varies a lot in size... you said it was larger than both of them?
Again, do you have any better pictures of the abdominal tip on this individual maybe? Its a very important character in these wasps.

/Alex
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Postby Euchroeus » 13 Aug 2013 20:02

Hi!

I agree with Alex about the identifications,
Chrysis iris, Chrysis fulgida and I would add that the last specimen should be Chrysura radians (Harris, 1776).
The deep and enlarged fovea on the metanotum is quite typical.

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Return to Pictures | Immagini