Cephaloparnops vareillesi (du Buysson) - UAE

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Cephaloparnops vareillesi (du Buysson) - UAE

Postby huwroberts » 12 Sep 2013 07:52

I've had this one tentatively identified as Cephaloparnops, probably denticulatus, Spinola, which is a great help as I had no idea. Having got this far though, I'm wondering if it is possible to remove the 'probably'.

In Linsenmaier 1994, it says that the abdomen of denticulatus should be "not metallic, but more or less iridescent" while vareillesi, also ocurring in Arabia, should have its abdomen "rosy metallic with broadly silvery haired transverse bands". To me, that points to vareillesi.

There's also something in the key about the tooth of metanotum being "completely metallic" on denticulatus, but the tooth of mesonotum being "metallic only at base" in vareillesi, although I'm not sure what that means. Are these features visible in any of the photos?

Thanks

Huw
Attachments
huwroberts

Name: Huw Roberts

Re: Cephaloparnops denticalatus?

Postby Euchroeus » 13 Sep 2013 12:45

Hi Huw!

Superfantastic pictures!!!
It's a male of Cephaloparnos vareillesi (du Buysson).
Yes, Linsenmaier's keys are right and the metanotal projection is truly not metallic at his top. You can see it in the first picture, but only if you already know where to look at ;-)
In the picture hte projection is in the middle between the scutellum and the abdomen and the tip has the same colour of the tegulae. The pest position to look at this character is the dorsal view. In the other 2 pictures you cannot see it.
Great pictures again.
Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Re: Cephaloparnops vareillesi (du Buysson) - UAE

Postby huwroberts » 15 Sep 2013 15:10

Thanks very much Paolo. That's great news.

Huw
huwroberts

Name: Huw Roberts

Return to Pictures | Immagini