Chrysididae mating ?

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysididae mating ?

Postby sebastien » 26 Dec 2013 23:55

Hello,

It’s my first Chrysididay. Can someone identify this wasp?
I observe Anthidiellum strigatum, Nomiapis and one Hyleus on one plant of “Fabacées” (Medicago ?), when she appair underneath on the leaf of this plant. The first mating was photographied, but from to far. The second, I approached but they stopped. For the third, (after 10 minutes) I have had this series…
It was a small one, length perhaps 6-8 mm.
What is the word official to describe this situation ? I don’t find anything on “couple/coupling”…

Location : France, in Aubignan 84810 (Postal code), the 13 juli 2013.
How can I reduce this pictures ?
Thanks in advance, sebastien

Last edited by sebastien on 29 Dec 2013 01:32, edited 3 times in total.
sebastien

Name: CARTERON Jean Sebastien

Re: Chrysididae mating ?

Postby Euchroeus » 27 Dec 2013 18:26

:welcome: Sebastien,

:wow: :o :wow: :o

Superfantastique!!! It's the first time in 20 years that I see similar pictures. The observation of the mating behaviour of the Chrysidid wasps is very very very rare! and you even took some pictures! Lucky entomologist/fotographer! We can see the male genitalia outside, ready for the copula.

And what about the species ... that is also an other outstanding finding! It's Holopyga amoenula occidenta Linsenmaier, 1959. Aubignan is only few km far away from the type locality (Carpentras) and this is a very uncommon (rare) South European species.

Congratulations.

Any other observation on this beautiful species is really welcome!

Bonne année et bonne santé!
Paolo

P.S. Later I'll move the pictures in the "Biology". I think that you should resize the pictures by using Photoshop or similar programs, and later upload on the web-site.
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby anillus » 27 Dec 2013 22:48

Beautiful sequence Sebastien!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
anillus

Name: andrea petrioli

Postby Alex » 29 Dec 2013 16:13

Super stuff!
A rare glimse into the.. ermh, more private, life of gold wasps. Impressed that you managed to get a shot of the opened genital capsule, really cool! Didnt expect the males to wingfan like that when copulating, although I have seen photographs of some males simply perching intop the female.

Kudos!
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Return to Pictures | Immagini