Chrysis fasciata-group, Greece

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysis fasciata-group, Greece

Postby Alex » 02 Oct 2014 21:18

Hello,

I ID'd some specimens that were reared from from a trapnet project ("ALARM"?) from a few locales in Europe. There wasnt a lot of specimens, and most belonged to common, easily ID'd species, however three females seemingly belonging to Chrysis sexdentata Christ, 1791, made me double guess myself. The lateral teeth on T3 seem much more like C. fasciata/equestris-type species than what I would associate with C. sexdentata. They are also a little more slender than the latter species, but maybe I'm imagining things. The colour looks very much like C. sexdentata however, also the way the head is built.
Am I making things unnecessarily complicated for myself? I havent got much experience with with this part of the fasciata-group, having mostly looked at (a few) C. fasciata, C. equestris and C. zetterstedti.

There are three specimens, all female, with the same morphology as this one. Cant find the reference to where the locale "Greece 02" but I could find out if needed. I suppose localities in Greece is quite important, as the insular fauna could be very unique in places?

Large

Large

Large

Large

:thanks:
/Alex
Edit: thought I'd take a shot of the sternites as well:
Large
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Re: Chrysis fasciata-group, Greece

Postby Euchroeus » 04 Oct 2014 10:41

Hi Alex,

don't worry about the this specimen, the mentioned characteristic is very variable. I have similar specimens from everywhere in the Mediterranean. The question is if there are sister species (as in the case of C. ignita). For sure there is a similar undescribed species from Morocco, while in central Asia you can find C. mocsaryana Semenov and in Asia Minor C. cuproprasina. But they are very distinct.

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Return to Pictures | Immagini