Chrysis nitidula-complex

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysis nitidula-complex

Postby Krait » 31 Jul 2017 02:31

Found in Canada, Newfoundland.

Thanks
Last edited by Krait on 01 Aug 2017 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
Krait

Name: Lars

Re: Please help to identify a wasp

Postby Euchroeus » 31 Jul 2017 10:23

:welcome: Lars!

That's an interesting picture, because there are not many records from Newfoundland, as far as I know.

Do you have other views of this chrysidid?
Unfortunaly I cannot see some important details, as the shape of apical margin of the abdomen, the propodeal teeth and the ventral black spots.

Based on the first picture, I suppose that it belongs to the Chrysis smargdula species group (with six teeth on the apical margin of the abdomen). A dozen of species are known from this species group in North America, but most of them live only in southern USA; probably at least 3 species could survive in your area: C. inaequidens, C. smaragdula and C. archboldi.

Let's wait for Villu Soon, if I remember well he collected in Canada and as material to compare with.

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby Krait » 31 Jul 2017 12:42

I think we do not have many spicies of Chrysididae.. I am here 3 month, and every time see the same wasp .. Yesterday I was lucky and I was able to take a picture of it (although the picture did not come out very well)

Photo taken on the dead tree, in the Cape Spear area, East Coast Trail.

Chrysis nitidula-complex?

as the shape of apical margin of the abdomen

In the first photo is visible a half of apical margin.

DSC_8929.JPG
DSC_8929.JPG (226.26 KiB) Viewed 2942 times
Krait

Postby Euchroeus » 31 Jul 2017 16:14

Dear Lars,

you're fully right! :ok:

I confused the tip of the abdomen with another tooth in postero-lateral view.

Well, it seems that only Chrysis coerulans is already known from various localities in Canada in this species group (Bohart & Kimsey 1982).

At this time, I cannot go any further with ID too... :?

The problem with the names nitidula/coerulans and all related synonymies is still unsolved.
Kimsey & Bohart (1991) considered only one valid species (C. nitidula).
However, reading the desciption of Form A, Form B and Form C of C. coerulans (given in Bohart & Kimsey 1982) it's clear that in this group there are more species, perfectly matching the European species in the C. ignita group (they show the same habitus, punctuation, etc., only the colour is different).
Also Linsenmaier (1994) observed that more species are found in this group and he named them with numbers because he could not examine types deposited in American museums.

Most of these European taxa were considered as variations, forms or subspecies until the second half of the XX Century, but now they are all accepted as valid species (also thanks to molecular analyses). I suppose that the same situation can be observed in North America within the species of the C. nitidula group.

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby Krait » 01 Aug 2017 01:55

okay, thanks for information)
Krait

Return to Pictures | Immagini