Chrysis teasing the spider ?

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysis teasing the spider ?

Postby Arthropa » 26 Dec 2010 22:57

Hello everyone,

This Chrysis (?) intrigued me : it was standing on a wall, like spying the spider in its hole, which also seemed to always keep an eye on the Chrysididae. This scene lasted for minutes, as far as I remember.

The Chrysididae was 9 mm long. Photos were taken on 28th.IV.2007 in Chambolle-Musigny (little village in Burgundy, France, much more famous for red wine than for Chrysididae :D ).

Questions are both : :idea:
1. how do you explain this behavior ?
2. is it possible to confirm the genus ? (I don't dare asking for the species !)
Other pictures available (though not very good) whenever needed.

Benoit
Arthropa

Name: Benoit MARTHA

Re: Chrysis teasing the spider ?

Postby Euchroeus » 27 Dec 2010 13:09

Welcome Benoit!
Nice to meet you on the forum.

Your pictures are great and surprising.

The Chrysidid is a female belonging to the Chrysis ignita group and to the pseudobrevitarsis aggregate. It should be pseudobrevitarsis Linsenmaier, but I always prefer to examine the specimens of this group to be sure. However the ovopositor is very large and the anal teeth quite typical.

The question is: what the hell is she doing?
Chrysidids do not directly parasitize spiders. When they are larvae, they can eat spiders storaged in other Hymenoptera nests, but it's an other story.
Maybe she is smelling feromons left by an other Hymenoptera captured by the spider.
Or maybe on the wall near the spider's nest there are other nests used by Eumenidae.
Do you have pictures of the wall?

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Re: Chrysis teasing the spider ?

Postby Arthropa » 30 Dec 2010 01:31

Thanks for your greeting, Paolo !

No, unfortunately, no picture of the wall... (people already wonder about this strange guy photographying insects, but whenever I start photographying walls, I'll be said defintely mad... :shock: :D )
But in my memory, there was no evident Eumenidae nest (or I would have taken photos !), and this chrysidid was turning around the spider hole. Maybe you're right with feromons ?

Thanks for ID : I note pseudobrevitarsis with no absolute certitude.
(Here is another view where you can guess anal teeth : maybe this could confort your ID ?)

Best wishes for coming new year
Arthropa

Name: Benoit MARTHA

Return to Pictures | Immagini